Wireless Electronic Notice Board using GSM
- Jun 08, 2022
Nowadays conveying messages at large using notice boards are widely used ones ranging from schools to organizations. We know the significance of notice boards in public areas like bus stands, railway stations, airports, and banks, etc. But day to day changing these boards is a very difficult task and a waste of time. At present, all electronic boards are designed with a wired system. The major drawback of designing these boards is; not flexible and cannot be located anywhere due to messy wire. To overcome this problem, a wireless board is designed to display the latest information. This article gives you an overview of how to design a wireless electronic notice board using GSM technology. This notice board displays the information on LCD display whatever you sent from the mobile.
Wireless Notice Board using GSM
The main goal of this project is to design a wireless board using GSM technology, which can replace the currently used conventional notice boards.
The term GSM is the short form of the global system for mobile communication. GSM technology was developed in the year 1970. GSM technology is used to transmit the data services and mobile voice and operates at different frequency bands like 850MHz, 900MHz,1800 MHz & 1900MHz. GSM technology was developed as a digital system using a TDMA technique (time division multiple access) for the purpose of communication. A GSM device reduces the data and digitizes, then sends it down through a channel with two different streams of consumer data, which has a specific time slot. The data rates carrying ability of a digital system range id from 64 kbps- 120 Mbps. In a GSM system, there are different types of cell sizes such as micro, macro, umbrella and Pico cells. Each and every cell change according to domain implementation.
Block Diagram of Wireless Electronic Notice Board
The block diagram of the GSM-based wireless notice board is shown below. The block diagram of the wireless board mainly includes hardware and software components. Hardware requirements are 8051 microcontroller, IC level shifter, GSM module, LCD display, resistors, capacitors, diodes, voltage regulator, transformer. Software requirements are Keil compiler and Embedded C language or assembly language. In this project, 8051 microcontroller, IC level shifter, GSM module are the most essential components.
Notice Board is the most important thing in any institution, organizations and public places like bus stands, airports, railway stations & parks. But changing different notice day by day is a difficult process and consumes more time. To overcome this problem, here is a project which deals with an innovative wireless notice board.
The main concept of this project is to design a wireless notice board that displays various notices sent from the mobile phone. When a mobile user sends information from his mobile, it is received by a SIM slot, which is integrated into a GSM modem at the receiver end.
The GSM modem is properly interfaced through level shifter IC for connecting the RS232 communication protocol to the 8051 microcontrollers. So the message received is thus sent to the 8051 microcontrollers. Furthermore, that displays it on a wireless notice board which is inbuilt with an LCD display. Here LCD display is interfaced with an 8051 microcontroller which is duly powered by an RPS (regulated power supply) from a 230V AC mains supply.
Furthermore, designing of this wireless notice board project can be enhanced by providing a message storage facility by EEPROM (non-volatile memory). This EEPROM is attached to the 8051 microcontrollers for the recovery of old messages if needed.
Operation of the Wireless Electronic Notice Board
The operation of the Wireless Notice Board mainly includes the following steps
- Using Keil software, embedded C or assembly language or write the code to the wireless notice board
- Dump the program into the 8051 microcontrollers using flash magic.
- Connect the circuit as per the circuit diagram
- Use the circuit of power supply to give 5V DC to the 8051 microcontroller
- Insert the SIM slot in the GSM module
- Give the power supply by switching ON the circuit
- Send the message to the GSM module using a mobile phone.
- Now you can observe the same message on the LCD display.
- The limitations of the wireless electronic notice board mainly include LCD display must have the network to get the message wirelessly
- As there is no password and any unauthorized person can also send the message to display on the LCD
Advantages of Wireless Electronic Notice Board
- The electronic notice board is wireless and no need for wires for displaying the information on the LCD display.
- It is very easy to operate and consumes less power
- The circuit of the wireless notice board is portable.
Applications of Electronic Notice Board
- The applications of wireless notice board mainly include public places like bus stands, railway stations, airports, shopping malls, and parks to display the information wirelessly.
- This project is also used in organizations, schools, and colleges.
Thus, this is all about designing a GSM-based wireless notice board project, which includes what is GSM technology, project description, operation, advantages, and applications. We hope that you have got a better understanding of this concept. Furthermore, any queries regarding this topic or electronic projects, please give your valuable suggestions by commenting in the comment section below. Here is a question for you, what is the main function of IC level shifter?