What is CA3130 CMOS Op-Amp & Its Working
- Jun 01, 2022
The CA3130 CMOS op-amp is one kind of IC that combines the benefits of both the t op amps that combine the advantage of both the transistors like Bipolar & CMOS. The CA3130 series circuits mainly operate at voltage supplies which range from 5V-16V. These circuits can be phase compensated through a single exterior capacitor & its terminals can be used for offset voltage adjustment where offset-null is required. Terminal supplies are made to allow the output stage strobing. As compared to CA3130, CA3130A provides better input characteristics.
What is CA3130 CMOS Op-Amp?
A BiMOS op-amp like CA3130 is available with MOSFET. This IC combines both the technologies like CMOS & bipolar op-amp into a single IC. CMOS IC is extremely efficient that works with less current whereas bipolar IC hold high bandwidth. So it combines the benefits of both the op-amps like CMOS & Bipolar.
This BiMOS op-amp incorporates MOSFET, so it is applicable in oscillator circuits, mobile jammers & frequency generators. The input terminal current used by this IC is approximately 1mA & the maximum o/p voltage is 13.3V.
The CMRR of CA3130 IC is 80dB. Here, the rejection ratio is the capacity of the device to refuse common-mode signals. So it is the ratio of differential-mode gain & common-mode gain.
The CA3130 is available with high i/p impedance because of the in-built MOSFETs. Whenever the sensor output voltage is connected to the inverting and non-inverting terminals of the IC, then the sensors output voltage doesn’t modify its value.
If you are looking for an IC with low power utilization, high BW, quick sample rate, max i/p impedance, and then this IC is suitable for you.
CA3130 CMOS Op-Amp Pin Configuration
The pin configuration of CA3130 CMOS Op-Amp is shown below. This IC includes 8-pins where each pin & its functionality is discussed below.
- Pin1 (Offset Null Pin): It is used to fix the offset voltage
- Pin2 (Inverting Pin IN –): A stable voltage is given to this IN-pin
- Pin3 (Non-inverting Pin IN +): An uneven voltage is given to this IN+ pin
- Pin4 (Vcc-): It is a GND pin
- Pin5 (Offset Null Pin): It is used to fix the offset voltage
- Pin6 (Output): The o/p pin of the IC
- Pin7 (Vcc+): It is a voltage supply pin where the voltage ranges from 5V – 16V
- Pin8 (Strobe): It is used to switch off the o/p stage
Features & Specifications
The features and specifications of the CA3130 CMOS op-amp include the following.
- Max sink current is 20mA
- i/p terminal current is 1mA
- Duration of o/p short circuit is Indefinite
- CMRR (Common Mode Rejection Ratio) is 80dB
- DC i/p voltage ranges from +8V to -0.5V
- The power supply range is wide
- Differential i/p voltage is 8 V
- Singe supply ranges from – 5V to 16V
- DC voltage supply is 16 V
- Double supply ranges from – ±2.5V to ±8V
- Common mode i/p voltage range mainly includes -ve supply rail and input terminals can swing 0.5V under -ve supply rail
- Output Voltage Max is 13.3V
- CMOS o/p stage allows swing of signal to any or both supply rails
- Op-amp included with MOSFET on the output
- It is perfect for the applications of a single supply
- Max source current is 22mA
- Current supply is10mA
How to use CA3130 CMOS Op-Amp?
CA3130 CMOS op-amp performs single & dual supply functions but the main difference between them is, the 4th pin is connected to GND in single-supply operation whereas the pin-8 strobes the o/p phase into quiescence.
This op-amp is used for compensation of phase to drive CMOS digital circuits within the applications of the comparator. Offset nulling is attained by connecting a potentiometer across pins 1 & 5.
The potentiometer’s slider arm is allied to pin 4 so that a fine value can be attained through sliding the arm. For obtaining effect compensation, a tiny capacitor is used in between pins 1 & 8. So for providing sufficient compensation, a 47pF capacitor is suitable.
Shadow Circuit using CA3130 Op-Amp
The application of the CA3130 op-amp is a shadow alarm circuit. This circuit is used to detect a moving shadow in a restricted area and also it protects different things from theft. Once somebody moves toward the unit, then a loud alarm can be generated to terminate the attempt of burglary. This circuit utilizes the light detecting a property of the Photodiode.
The photo diode’s PN-junction provides light current once it is connected in forwarding bias. Here, the op-amp in the circuit is designed like a voltage comparator where its noninverting terminal is allied to an R1 potential divider & variable resistor (VR).
By changing the variable resistor, the flow of current at the input toward pin3 is set to a reference stage. The inverting input can be given to a photodiode. This IC is a 15 MHz BiMOS op-amp through MOSFET inputs & bipolar o/p. The inputs of the IC mainly include MOSFET transistors to provide extremely high input impedance & low input current like 10pA. The performance of this is a high speed, so it is appropriate for the applications of less input current.
Both the op-amps like CA3130A & CA3130 combine the improvements of both bipolar & CMOS transistors. In the input circuit, PMOS transistors are utilized for providing extremely high i/p impedance, low i/p current & excellent speed performance.
The PMOS transistors use within the input phase will result in common-mode input-voltage capacity down to 0.5V of the negative terminal supply, a significant attribute within the applications of single-supply. A CMOS transistor-pair is capable of swinging the o/p voltage within 10mV of any voltage terminal supply and it is used as the output circuit.
The series circuits of this op-amp work at voltage supplies which range from 5V – 16V, so they can be compensated with phase using an external single capacitor. For offset voltage adjustment, they have terminals for an application that needs offset-null capacity. The provisions of the terminal are also designed to allow the output stage strobing. This op-amp gives better input characteristics.
Usually, photodiode in the light provides voltage toward pin2 of op-amp because this voltage is superior as compared to the voltage arranged through a variable resistor at pin3. The output of the op-amp is low to turn off LED & buzzer
When a person approaches the photodiode, the shadow causes a reduction in current through the photodiode so that voltage at pin2 decreases below that of pin3. The output of IC1 then goes high and Buzzer sounds. The circuit will activate once the intensity of light alters exclusive of a shadow. So, it is superior to maintain the unit within a place wherever stable light is obtainable.
Where to use/Applications
The applications of CA3130 CMOS op-amp include the following.
- Used in mobile jammers, oscillator circuits, DAC circuits, voltage follower, noise detectors, peak signal, distorter, or frequency generator.
- These ICs are used to build engineering projects
- This operational amplifier is used for amplification purposes and is also used like a voltage regulator, comparator, and voltage follower by using exterior components.
- This IC is used where high input impedance, high bandwidth & low input current is required.
- These are applicable in multivibrators and voltage followers because of their maximum input resistances.
- This op-amp is used as an integrator in function generator & threshold detector.
- This IC uses additional components to perform different conversions like frequency to voltage & temperature to frequency.
- It is used to design oscillators & digital to analog converters.
Thus, this is all about an overview of CA3130 CMOS op-amp. This is a BiMOS op-amp including MOSFET i/p & BiMOS devices includes some benefits of both transistors like CMOS & bipolar. Bipolar transistor performs quick switching and performs well below high BWs. Alternatively, CMOS ICs use low current. This IC includes PMOS transistors at the i/p & CMOS transistors at the o/p. Both these transistors offer the benefits like high speed, high impedance, high BW, low current & utilization. It includes a huge number of applications. Here is a question for you, what are the different CMOS ICs available in the market?