CD4011 NAND Gate – Pin Configuration & Its Applications
- May 25, 2022
A NAND gate (NOT- AND) is one kind of logic gate that works like an AND gate through a NOT gate. Here, the output of the AND gate can be inverted through the NOT gate. As a result, when all the inputs of a NAND gate are HIGH then only it gives a LOW output. These gates are used to design an extensive range of logic functions like D Flip-Flops & SR Latches. So this article discusses an overview of a CD4011 NAND Gate and its working.
What is CD4011 NAND Gate?
CD4011 IC is a quadrable two-input NAND gate IC that includes four NAND gates within a single chip. The logic used by this gate is CMOS where designing of all the inputs and outputs can be done based on the voltage level of CMOS logic.
This IC is used to perform NAND logic otherwise you can utilize a combination of 4 logic gates to achieve AND/OR operation also. CD4011 NAND gate ICs offer the system designer through direct execution of the NAND gate function & supplement the existing CMOS, gate family.
These ICs are available in different packages like 14-lead hermetic DIL (dual-in-line) ceramic, 14-lead DIL plastic, 14-lead small-outline & 14-lead thin shrink tiny outline packages.
The pin configuration of the CD4011 NAND Gate is shown below. This IC includes 14 pins where each pin and its function are discussed below.
- Pin1 (INPUT A): This pin is the input A of the 1st NAND gate
- Pin2 (INPUT B): This pin is the input B of the 1st NAND gate
- Pin3 (OUTPUT J): This is an o/p J pin of the 1st NAND gate
- Pin4 (OUTPUT K): This is an o/p K pin of the second NAND gate
- Pin5 (INPUT C): This is the Input C pin of the second NAND gate
- Pin6 (INPUT D): This is the Input D pin of the second NAND gate
- Pin7 (GND): This is GND pin
- Pin8 (INPUT E): This is an Input E pin of the third NAND gate
- Pin9 (INPUT F): This is an Input F pin of the third NAND gate
- Pin10 (OUTPUT L): This pin is an Output L pin of the third NAND gate
- Pin11 (OUTPUT M): This is an Output pin M of the fourth NAND gate
- Pin12 (INPUT G): This is an Input pin G of the fourth NAND gate
- Pin13 (INPUT H): This is an Input H pin of the fourth NAND gate
- Pin14 (VCC/VDD): This pin connects with a 5V power supply
Specifications & Features
The features and specifications of CD4011 NAND Gate include the following.
- 2- Input NAND Gate with Quad Package
- The operating voltage is 5V
- The high range o/p current is 1.5 mA
- The low range o/p current is 1.5mA
- Time taken for propagation delay is 60 ns
- The range of operating temperature is – 55 C to + 125 C
- Available packages are 14-pin GDIP, PDIP & PDSO
- The propagation delay time is 60 ns
- Buffered i/ps & o/ps
- Consistent symmetrical o/p characteristics
- Input current Max 1µA at 18 V on complete package temperature range and 100 nA at 25°C & 18 V
- At 20V of quiescent current, it is 100% tested
- Parametric ratings are 5V, 10V & 15V
- Mounting type is through-hole
- 400B series
- CMOS technology
- Dual terminal position
- NAND logic function
- CD4011B Part number
- CD4000 Technology Family
- Min VCC is 3V
- Max VCC is 18V
- 4 Channels
- Inputs for each channel -2
- Max current to the pin is 6.8 mA
- Max current from the pin is –6.8 mA
- The type of input is typical CMOS
- The type of output is Push-Pull
- Standard Speed is > 50ns
- Max data rate is 8 Mbps
- Range of operating temperature range is -55 to 125 C
Alternatives & Equivalents CD4011 NAND Gates are NTE4011, HCF4011, MC14011, HEF4011 or TC4011. Alternative ICs with two input NAND gates are ; 4572, 4093, 40107, 74HC00, 74HC01 & 74HC03.
How to use CD4011 NAND Gate?
As we have already discussed NAND gate. So, CD4011 IC includes 4 NAND gates. The tabular form and its logic functions are given below.
According to the above tabular form, we can conclude that if both the inputs are high then only the output is low otherwise it is high.
CD4011 IC includes 12 I/O pins for a total of 4 NAND gates. So this IC can be used simply by simply connecting the VDD pin to the positive pin whereas the negative supply is to the GND pin.
This IC operates with +5V where the output voltage of this chip on the o/p will be equivalent to the operating voltage of this chip. Some of the versions of NAND gate ICs will work upto 20V. In the above CD4011 NAND gate IC, the input pins are denoted with A & B whereas the output pins are denoted with ‘Q’.
The application circuit diagram of the CD4011 NAND Gate namely the beeper circuit is shown below.
In the above beeper circuit, two CD4011 NAND gates play a crucial role. This circuit is very simple to design and used to generate beep sound where indication and alarm are required in such places as hospitals, Fire brigade stations, police stations, etc.
These circuits are very simple to design, use and need less maintenance. So this beeper circuit is designed with a CD4011 two Input NAND gate IC.
The required components to build this beeper circuit mainly includes a breadboard, 9V battery, connecting wires, CD4011 IC, 2N4401 NPN Transistor, Piezo Buzzer, 470uF capacitor, 5mm LED & Resistors like 1k,1.2k & 470 ohm.
This NAND gate IC is used in different electronic circuits as it performs like a NAND gate. Once you want to utilize it like a logic inverter, then NAND gates within this IC are connected to work like a NOT gate. So, it is utilized wherever NAND operation with high-speed is required. This IC includes a less transition time that is required for high-speed-based applications.
In the above circuit, the two NAND gate ICs are connected like an astable multivibrator because the o/p at pin-4 of this IC constantly goes low & high. This is continuously turned ON & OFF the transistor to drive the piezoelectric buzzer. Thus, this buzzer will generate a beep sound & the light-emitting diode in the circuit will blink continuously.
This beeper circuit is used in timers, alarm devices for alarming and indicating purposes.
Where to use CD4011 NAND Gate?
As per the previous discussion, CD4011 NAND gate IC includes four NAND logic gates. These gates help in implementing other logic gates like AND, OR & NOT. This IC is applicable where high-speed NAND gate output is necessary because this IC provides output in below 60ns.
For making a high-speed process, we need a circuit always through less transition time. So, it is suggested logic gate is used in high-frequency systems. The applications of CD4011 NAND Gate include the following.
- Safety thermostats
- Digital locks
- Logic gates
- Transmitters & receivers based on AV
- Audio players
- Portable Audio Docks
- AV Receivers
- MP3 Players/Recorders
- Home Theaters
- Used within Blu-Ray Players
- PDAs or Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs)
Thus, this is all about an overview of the CD4011 NAND Gate datasheet. This IC belongs to the series of CD40xx CMOS and this IC is available with 4 separate NAND gates. This NAND gate IC is extensively used in several electrical circuits and this IC can be used as a logic inverter by connecting this gate to NOT gate. For high-speed applications, this IC is apt due to the low transition time. Here is a question for you, what are the different packages of this CD4011 NAND Gate?